The House system not only provides students with a focus for a healthy competitive spirit generated through an array of House activities but also opportunities for girls to broaden their involvement in a supportive environment.
Girls also gain much from being able to organise specific teams or groups within their House and the mentoring and role modelling that is an intrinsic part of the House system.
Fintona has six houses based on a vertical model from Years 5 to 12. In the Junior School, girls are placed in one of three Houses.
Annual House Events
House activities in the Middle and Senior School years encompass both sport and culture maximising opportunities for students to be involved. House events also give girls the chance to show their prowess at organising teams, scoring, adjudicating, designing sets and costumes, conducting and being marshals and officials.
- Athletics Carnival
- Swimming Carnival
- Cross Country
- Summer Carnival (variety of sports)
Drama Day is a House Performance Competition held in December that is overseen by Year 11 students. It is one of the highlights of the year and involves all girls from Years 5 to 11.
Each House creates a movement piece and a dialogue piece based on a common stimulus to be presented at a public performance.
This longstanding competition is one of our favourites. House Music showcases the musical talents of our girls and allows the House spirit to soar.
House debating is an inter-House competition available to girls in Years 5 to 12.
Some recent topics of House Debating include:
- That CEO’s of companies that cause environmental damage should be held individually responsible (Year 11 and 12)
- That social media companies should proactively censor extremist comments on their platforms (Year 9 and 10)
- That Australian television channels should be required to show a mandated quota of Australian produced programming (Year 7 and 8)
- That primary school students should watch 30 minutes of televised news per day (Year 5 and 6)
In the Junior School, girls compete for an annual House Cup in:
- Trivia Competition
- Cross Country